Home / About Rezekne / Rezekne history
29.03.2017. 20:53
   

Photographies from Latgale Culture History Museum archive

Skats no tilta uz upi
View from bridge to the river
Vecticībnieku lūgšanu nams
Rezekne St.Nikolai Old-believer Preaching House
Pilsdrupas ar skatu uz baznīcu
Castle ruins
Pasta ēka
Post-office building
Rēzeknes Valsts skolotāju institūts
Rezekne's Higher Educational Institution

Rezekne in history

Historians affirm that the hilly territory near the river bight was inhabited since the ancient times. From XIII till XVI century the present territory of Rezekne was the centre of Livonia state. For the first time our city was mentioned in 1285 under the name “Rositten”.

Since 1582 Rezekne was the part of Poland-Lithuania princedom. After the first division of Poland in 1772 Rezekne became the part of Russian Empire. In 1773 Rezekne was granted with the rights of county city. In 1778 Russian Empress Ekaterina II approved coat of arms and master plan of the city that unfortunately was not enforced.

Initially, Režica was the part of Pskov province; in 1777 - the part of Polocka province, but in 1802 - one of the centers of Vitebsk province. Rezekne boomed in its development in 1836, when the road St. Petersburg - Warsaw was built. The railway St. Petersburg - Warsaw was constructed in 1860 but line Ventspils-Ribinska was built in 1904.

In 1917 the Latgale's Congress accepted historical decision to secede from Vitebsk province in order to form a common, independent state of Latvia together with the Latvians of Kurzeme and Vidzeme.

During the time of independence Rezekne was the centre of the region and the population of it was 13 300 in 1939. The people were mostly employed in small factories, trade companies and on the railroad. At this time Rezekne became the cultural centre of Latgale region.

During the World War II the most of public and dwelling buildings were ruined, therefore after the war it was necessary to rebuild almost all the city. However, one of the oldest streets of the city - Latgale's Street - still has got a part of historical buildings. Close to Cathedral there is the building (1780) that was used for governmental offices. Today this building belongs to Catholic School of Rezekne-Aglona Diocese.

Between XIX and XX centuries the construction of red bricks was very characteristic for Rezekne. After the events of XX century there are still left some of the buildings, for example, the oldest chemist's shop of the city "Ērgļa aptieka" (Eagle Chemist's Shop) at Latgale's Street 41, built in 1882; two storied house at Latgale's Street 28 (belongs to Rezekne's Cemetery Community of old believers); buildings at Atbrīvošanas aleja 92 and 94, and some other buildings. After the end of the World War II Rezekne became an important industrial centre of the region. In 1957 the Milk Processing Company was built, five years later – the plant for equipment of dairy production, in 1971 - the plant of electrical building equipment. Rezekne can be proud of its engineering industry and wood-working industry. The city has significant net of railway and road transport, it is the gate between the East and the West.
Today Rezekne is Latgale centre of culture and education. It is multinational city that has welcomed different nationalities, so you can hear many different languages here. It is the city where people live with the faith in their hearts...
Rezekne - it is the city that has the charm of antiquity and progressive time. Rezekne - it is the heart of Latgale!

 
© 2017 Rēzekne City Council | Last changes: 20.08.2009